When the name Marlin is discussed in the field of firearms, the initial though it typically of their lever action rifles with brilliantly cased hardened receivers that competed with Winchester during the peak of western expansion during the 1880s. The second thought is typically of their Marlin-Ballard single shot rifles that developed a reputation for accuracy and ruggedness during the latter half of the 19th century. However, it was small handguns, that were the genesis of the company, and were its primary product line during its first decade in business. John Marlin was born on May 6, 1836 in Boston Neck (near Windsor Locks, Hartford, CT). He went to work for the Hartford based Colt Patent Firearms Manufacturing Company sometime during the 1850s and 1863 he left the firm to start his own firearms manufacturing business. The first products offered by Marlin were small, single shot, derringers offered in a variety of rimfire cartridge chambering. The guns were brass framed pocket weapons with barrels that pivoted sideways for loading and unloading, similar to the Colt 3rd Model (Thuer) derringer that would be offered several years after Marlin’s guns had been on the market. They also produced a percussion alarm gun in rather limited quantities during their first 2-3 years in business. In 1869, with the expiration of the Rollin White patent on the bored through cylinder, Marlin introduced the “O.K.” Pocket Revolver in .22 rimfire short, followed quickly by the Marlin “Little Joker”. Both were solid-frame, seven-shot, single-action, spur-trigger pocket revolvers with bird’s head grips. Both models were produced in relatively small quantities (about 2,000 and 1,100 respectively) and were gone from the product line by the mid-1870s. In 1872 Marlin introduced his first really successful handgun, the XXX Standard 1872. The XXX (which was a reference to the .30 caliber chambering) was a tip-up revolver (similar in design to the Smith & Wesson #1 and #2 revolvers) and was chambered for .30 rimfire. The revolver was a five-shot single action gun with a spur-trigger bird’s head grips. The standard barrel length was 3”, although custom lengths (both shorter and longer) were available by special order. As originally produced the revolver had a ribbed octagon barrel, and an unfluted cylinder. Like most handguns of the era the standard finish was nickel plating with wood grips. However, half-plate finish (silver frame & blue barrel) were offered for extra cost, as well as fancy grips like pearl or ivory. Only about 500 of these earliest XXX revolvers were produced, before the Marlin company changed over to a ribbed round barrel, but retained the unfluted cylinder. Again, about 500 units were produced and another change took place, replacing the plain cylinder with a short fluted one. These guns sold extremely well, with about 10,000 being produced between 1873 and 1876. The final change came not long after, with the cylinder and frame lengthened about 3/16” and the length of the flutes extended as well. About 15,000 of these guns were also produced, through 1876 when the XXX was dropped from the product line, to be replaced by the newly designed Models 1875, 1878 and eventually 1887 revolvers. However, the end of XXX (and its sister revolver the .22 caliber XX) coincided with a new direction for the Marlin company, where it would have its greatest success. In 1873 the assets of the Brown Manufacturing Company were sold at auction due to foreclosure. Brown had held the patent rights to the Ballard patent breech loading rifle and these rights, along with the machinery to produce the rifles (along with many parts finished and unfinished) were acquired by New York arm dealer and investor Charles Daly. Daly approached John Marlin about taking over the machinery, parts and production of the Ballard rifle, with the arrangement that Daly’s company Schoverling & Daly would hold the exclusive distribution rights for the guns. Daly also invested in the Marlin company and eventually became president of the firm. In 1881 the firm was reorganized as the Marlin Firearms Company and that same year they introduced their first lever action rifle, the Model 1881. Over the next twenty years a variety of successful lever action competitors to the various Winchester designs would be launched, and while the company never reached the sales and production output of Winchester, they certainly earned a reputation for manufacturing quality firearms. As the last decade of the 19th century approached, interest in single shot rifles waned, and the Ballard line of single shot rifles was dropped around 1890-1891. In 1893 John Marlin bought back Daly’s investment, and retained sole ownership of the company. In 1899 handgun manufacturing was discontinued to focus on the production of lever action rifles and pump action shotguns. In 1901 John Marlin died, but his two sons continued the company and expanded it by acquiring the Ideal Cartridge Reloading Company. In 1915 the company was sold to a New York based investment syndicate and became Marlin-Rockwell. During the First World War the company concentrated its manufacturing efforts on machine guns. At the end of the war the company did not return the manufacture of sporting arms and sort of withered and died, relying on its service department and reloading tool division to carry it. The company was reorganized in 1921 as the Marlin Firearms Corporation but failed and was sold at auction in 1923. This time the company was purchased by Frank Kenna and production of sporting arms soon resumed. The firm divested themselves of the Ideal Reloading division in 1925, selling it off to Lyman and invested the funds in upgraded production lines for firearms. Today the company remains in business as one of America’s longest running firearms manufacturers and is still owned by the Kenna family. 5,000 XXX Standard revolvers were manufactured by Marlin between 1872 and 1887. John Mahlon Marlin was born on May 6, 1836 near Windsor Locks, Connecticut. At the age of 18, he became an apprentice machinist with the American Machine Works. He later served as a machinist with Colt Patent Firearms of Hartford. In 1863, he started his own pistol manufacturing business in New Haven, concentrating on production of a small single-shot .22 caliber derringer. Marlin expanded his efforts to include revolvers in 1870, after the expiration of Rollin White's cylinder patents. The Marlin story later became intertwined with the Ballard breechloading rifle. These single-shot arms were invented by Charles H. Ballard of Worcester, Massachusetts, who received his original patent in 1861. Approximately 24,000 sporting and military rifles, carbines, and shotguns were manufactured between 1862 and 1873; Civil War sales account for half of this total. Five different New England companies produced various Ballard designs, with the New York firm of Merwin & Bray acting as sales agents throughout Ballard's brief history. Economic depression came to the United States in 1873, and diminishing sales forced Ballard into bankruptcy. All patent rights, equipment, parts inventories, and properties were purchased by New York arms dealers Schoverling and Daly, who handled sales and distribution of Ballard rifles after reaching an agreement with John Marlin to continue production. This partnership would prove to be highly successful for all parties involved. In 1881, the Marlin Firearms Company was incorporated, and production of Ballard rifles continuing under the Marlin banner until they were eventually discontinued circa 1891 due to the rising popularity of repeating rifles. Marlin-Ballard rifles were and are well-known for their accuracy and workmanship, and fancy-grade long-range rifles are eagerly sought after by modern collectors. Marlin continued to expand his product line, introducing his Model 1881 lever-action tubular magazine repeating rifle in that year. Many key features had been patented by Andrew Burgess and others, but John Marlin incorporated these into a single functional firearm. This rifle was available in a variety of calibers ranging from .32-40 to 45-70 Government, a feature that would not be duplicated by competing Winchesters for several more years. Marlin also produced several other lever action designs, concluding with the Model 1897, which remained in production until 1922.
oldguns.ca virtual museum collection.
Still researching, any help with this item would be appreciated, description coming.
Knife is 25 inches overall when open and 15 inches when closed.
A Balkan Ottoman dagger of a type called hançer (Turkish) or khanjar (Arabic), of Arabic inspired form. The wootz Damascus blade with pronounced center ridge section and a pattern of fine contrasting layers of steel in grey and silver. Wootz steel was amongst the finest in the world. It is the metal that was used to fashion weapons such as the famous Damascus blades of the Middle Ages. However, Wootz steel dates back much further than the Medieval period. The technology originated in ancient India millennia before many other cultures ever found out about it. The silver handle is worked in high relief with traditional Ottoman flower designs. The scabbard, also entirely clad in silver, is decorated with bands of applied silver elements including engraved strips, bands of silver wire braid, and bands of separately applied elements. The end of the scabbard is wrapped in fine silver braid wire and terminates with an engraved finial. The scabbard is quite close to that of a dagger attributed to Prince Ioannes Karatzas (1760-1845).
Thanks to mandarinmansion.com for the information.
Notes to text
1. See: Robert Elgood; The arms of Greece and her Balkan neighbours in the Ottoman period, Thames & Hudson, London, 2009. Page 253.
oldguns.ca virtual museum.
Date of manufacture is 1892, This rifle is in amazing original condition. The mechanics function as they should and it sports a minty bore, bright and sharp. Metal finish on the barrel is original and 85% plus, with the mag tube going more plum colour. The receiver has lost all of its colour case but is in the typical shiny silver that remains when the thin case colours disappear. The wood is wonderful, with no chips or cracks, lots of bumps and bruises as obviously this rifle was used for intended purposes. This is a very clean collector grade rifle in a rarer caliber.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
From the collection of T. Neidy.
A fine French Target/Duelling pistol with sighted, rifled barrel, sporting breech panels containing symmetrical designs of stylised foliage profusely engraved, the spur trigger functions perfectly with a crisp defined hammer to trigger relationship, there is a set trigger screw. The trigger guard is elegantly shaped as is the pommel, both are intricately engraved with beautiful foliage style engraving. The half stock wood appears to be ebony with fluted butt and carved fore end tip. The St. Etienne proof mark is visible on the left side of the barrel, circa 1850.
For any additional information, please contact Mr. Neidy at email@example.com.
Most of these guns did not survive and those that have are in very poor condition or have been severely modified, it's rare that the wood on these guns has remained in original configuration and that it has remained as a flintlock and did not get converted to percussion . This rifle dates to around 1775, it functions as it should and would probably shoot as intended, although I do not recommend it. A great piece of Canadian history, I hope it stays in Canada. Wood is cracked and repaired, metal has turned a grey brown colour, mechanically it functions as it should, ram rod is likely a replacement. I date this gun somewhere around 1790-1820. Made in England as for trade with native Canadians for fur. From its beginning in 1670, the Hudson's Bay Company traded guns to the Indians on a large scale. By 1742, beaver pelts were valued at: one pelt for one pound of shot or three flints; four pelts for one pound of power; ten pelts for a pistol; twenty pelts for a trade gun. The primary source of the Indian trade gun was factories in Birmingham and London, England. The gun makers in London charged that Birmingham turned out park-paling muskets for the American trade. The Birmingham manufacturers were often referred to as blood merchants and their factories blood houses by the London group. There are numerous accounts in journals of gun barrels blowing up when these trade guns were fired (Northwest Journal). There is no way to determine how many Indians and trader lost all or parts of their hands from these guns. Still, problems with the Indian trade gun were probably no higher than other Colonial guns of the period. The full-stocked, smooth bore trade guns varied little in shape and style, but underwent changes in barrel lengths. By the late 1820's, the 30 inch barrel had become popular. A distinctive feature of these guns was the dragon or serpent shaped side plate. Most Indians would not trade for a gun that did not have the serpent plate.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
The M1911 pistol originated in the late 1890s as the result of a search for a suitable self-loading (or semi-automatic) pistol to replace the variety of revolvers then in service. The United States was adopting new firearms at a phenomenal rate; several new pistols and two all-new service rifles (the M1892/96/98 Krag and M1895 Navy Lee), as well as a series of revolvers by Colt and Smith & Wesson for the Army and Navy, were adopted just in that decade. The next decade would see a similar pace, including the adoption of several more revolvers and an intensive search for a self-loading pistol that would culminate in the official adoption of the M1911 after the turn of the decade. Hiram S. Maxim had designed a self-loading rifle in the 1880s, but was preoccupied with machine guns. Nevertheless, the application of his principle of using cartridge energy to reload led to several self-loading pistols in 1896. The designs caught the attention of various militaries, each of which began programs to find a suitable one for their forces. In the U.S., such a program would lead to a formal test at the turn of the 20th century. M1911 designer John Browning During the end of 1899 and start of 1900, a test of self-loading pistols, including entries from Mauser (the C96 "Broomhandle"), Mannlicher (the Mannlicher M1894), and Colt (the Colt M1900), was conducted. This led to a purchase of 1,000 DWM Luger pistols, chambered in 7.65mm Luger, a bottlenecked cartridge. During field trials, these ran into some problems, especially with stopping power. Other governments had made similar complaints. Consequently, DWM produced an enlarged version of the round, the 9×19mm Parabellum (known in current military parlance as the 9×19mm NATO), a necked-up version of the 7.65 mm round. Fifty of these were tested as well by the U.S. Army in 1903. American units fighting Tausūg guerrillas in the Moro Rebellion in Sulu during the Philippine–American War using the then-standard Colt M1892 revolver, .38 Long Colt, found it to be unsuitable for the rigours of jungle warfare, particularly in terms of stopping power, as the Moros had high battle morale and often used drugs to inhibit the sensation of pain. The U.S. Army briefly reverted to using the M1873 single-action revolver in .45 Colt caliber, which had been standard during the late 19th century; the heavier bullet was found to be more effective against charging tribesmen. The problems prompted the Chief of Ordnance, General William Crozier, to authorize further testing for a new service pistol. Following the 1904 Thompson-LaGarde pistol round effectiveness tests, Colonel John T. Thompson stated that the new pistol "should not be of less than .45 caliber" and would preferably be semi-automatic in operation. This led to the 1906 trials of pistols from six firearms manufacturing companies (namely, Colt, Bergmann, Deutsche Waffen und Munitionsfabriken (DWM), Savage Arms Company, Knoble, Webley, and White-Merrill). Of the six designs submitted, three were eliminated early on, leaving only the Savage, Colt, and DWM designs chambered in the new .45 ACP (Automatic Colt Pistol) cartridge. These three still had issues that needed correction, but only Colt and Savage resubmitted their designs. There is some debate over the reasons for DWM's withdrawal—some say they felt there was bias and that the DWM design was being used primarily as a "whipping boy" for the Savage and Colt pistols, though this does not fit well with the earlier 1900 purchase of the DWM design over the Colt and Steyr entries. In any case, a series of field tests from 1907 to 1911 were held to decide between the Savage and Colt designs. Both designs were improved between each round of testing, leading up to the final test before adoption. Among the areas of success for the Colt was a test at the end of 1910 attended by its designer, John Browning. 6000 rounds were fired from a single pistol over the course of 2 days. When the gun began to grow hot, it was simply immersed in water to cool it. The Colt gun passed with no reported malfunctions, while the Savage designs had 37.
As for Canada's involvement with the 1911, after the start of Mobilization in 1914, the (corrupt) Minster of Militia Sam Hughes decided to kit out the entire Canadian Military with Colt 1911's. However due to the neutrality act of the time, the Americans could not sell us military kit. So we had one or two procurement officers buy 5000 Commercial Models for themselves. They were delivered over a period of time and they are not all sequentially numbered. He was only able to really equipe the first two contingents and officers had to buy their own from the already bought lots. NCO's had their issued. Ultimately, it was found that it would be two expensive, so the government moved to the Webley Mk 6, Colt New Service and the Smith and Wesson .455 in 1917.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
From the E. Lind collection.
The Remington target rifle designed by Lewis Hepburn, Remington's supervising engineer. Remington-Hepburn No.3 Rifles were made in various models c.1880-1907. SN 4533
Circa 1880 Remington-Hepburn (U.S.) No. 3 Falling Block Creedmoor Target Rifle (single-shot/ breech-loading/ black powder/ cartridge ammunition) In the 1880s, sophistication grew in the eastern United States. Towns and cities were urbanized, labor unions organized, education became important, and sports were popular. Among the latter, target shooting gathered thousands of adherents, particularly as the major rifle companies began to produce marvels of technology. This display gun represents one of these.
Lewis Hepburn, its inventor, was superintendent of Remington's mechanical department and a member of the American Creedmoor International Shooting Team. This falling-block target rifle is his contribution to the sport. --Dr. William L. Roberts, THE AMERICAN LIBERTY COLLECTION; #98 During the latter years of the 19th century, medium-range Schuetzen (offhand) matches became very popular.
From 1858 through 1878, Lewis L. Hepburn made custom muzzleloading sporting rifles. The decline of his gunmaking business had caused Hepburn to turn his attention to related pursuits.
On April 24, 1875, Hepburn was granted US Patent (no. 162,473) for rebounding hammers on gun locks. Hepburn consigned this patent to E. Remington & Sons. On October 7, 1879, Lewis L. Hepburn received another US Patent (no. 220,426), this time covering a breech loading system that featured a dropping breech lock activated by a lever on the right side of the frame.
The 'No. 3' or 'Remington-Hepburn' rifles were introduced in a 'No. 3 Midrange' rifle for target competition - a sporting rifle with barrel sights as well as a long range Creedmoor target rifle.
A typical off-hand rifle of that period was fitted with an adjustable palm rest below the forearm. The palm rest often could be swung to a vertical position for firing, with the ball or grip piece held in the shooter's hand. The shooter's elbow was braced against his hip to provide the necessary steadiness in the off-hand position. Action of the typical Schuetzen rifle was fitted with a heavy barrel, usually octagonal, and the target sights were fully adjustable for windage and elevation. The action was fitted with double set triggers and an elaborate finger lever typical of the ornamental designs of the late 19th century. Also standard was a high comb buttstock to properly locate the shooter's face in the off-hand position, and an elaborate hooked buttplate to accurately position the butt of the rifle when firing.
This particular rifle has been professionally/painstakingly restored to exact original configuration. It is absolutely beautiful and in as new condition.
For additional information, please contact Mr. Lind at firstname.lastname@example.org .
EXTREMELY RARE, SPECIAL ORDER 1ST TYPE WINCHESTER MODEL 1894 TAKEDOWN LEVER ACTION RIFLE.
AKA - THE TEN O'CLOCK SCREW - SN 4513. Cal. 38-55.
Winchester books state that 14,760 Model 1894's were built in the first year. Research indicates, while they may have manufactured a large batch of receivers, only about 1,300 to 1,400 1894's were actually built. Of those, not all of them even shipped in that first year. Several hundred were still uncompleted or simply sitting in Winchester's warehouse when the year 1895 rolled in. There are even model 1894's with one- and two-digit serial numbers that weren't built and shipped until 1895. In fact, the first .30-30 wasn't built until May 29, 1895 with a serial number that was only in the 5,000 range. The reason so few 1894's were built in that first year is that John Browning didn't patent the concept for the Model 1894 until August of that year. From there, it took engineers at Winchester about six weeks to tool up for production...which was quite a feat! Production didn't start until around October 20, 1894 with the first 1894 rifles being shipped at the end of October. As those last few remaining weeks passed in 1894, small quantities of 1894's trickled out of the Winchester warehouse to dealers but many...even very low numbers...stayed in the warehouse until 1895.
Winchester 1st Model 1894's. What are they? There were only approximately 2,000 made and they are generally found in serial ranges up to about 3,000. The highest known is one in the 7,000 range. All first models known are in caliber 38-55. So what's the difference between a first model and a second model, the main thing that separates a first model from a second model is the placement of the screws for securing the guide rails. First models have their screws located on the outside of the frame located just to the top left of the loading port. Second model guide rail screws are secured from the inside out about 1" forward of this position (or almost directly above the middle of the loading port.
This rifle would be the pride of any Winchester collection. This particular firearm is in amazing condition with, in my opinion, metal blue at 90% plus, with outstanding case colouring on the lever and hammer, vivid bright fire blue on loading gate and still visual on the extractor. This rifle is rare enough just being itself, now take into account the fine condition, then the fact that it is a special order take down rifle. My research so far indicates less than 10 take down 1st models were made, I will qualify that this research is ongoing. The hammer has the earliest style checkered border with the decorative dip at the top of the pattern. Upper tang is marked with the early three-line pattern 1. "MODEL 1894", 2. -WINCHESTER-, and 3. "PAT AUG. 21 1894." Nice barrel markings include the two line barrel address which reads "MANUFACTURED BY THE -WINCHESTER REPEATING ARMS CO NEW HAVEN. CONN. U.S.A-". The caliber marking is located directly on the top of the barrel as "38-55" with no Winchester proofs. This is correct for an early 1894 made prior to 1901 or '02. Screws are all in excellent condition. The wood is excellent with outstanding figure. It functions beautifully with an excellent bright shiny bore. A very strong example of one of the latest 1st Model 1894's in existence.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.