From the T. Neidy collection.
In order to prioritize issue of the standard infantry rifle—the Model 1886 Lebel—to frontline troops, France turned to obsolete Gras Model 1874 rifles for service and support soldiers. Almost immediately, the French embarked on a program to convert blackpowder Gras rifles to the smokeless 8 mm Lebel cartridge. The conversion proved difficult, and progress was slow. Unable to produce enough standard-issue Lebel rifles or convert enough Gras rifles, France contracted with Winchester and Remington to arm rear-echelon soldiers. Remington was contracted for a modified version of its Rolling Block rifle, while Winchester received a contract for 15,100 Model 1894 carbines, although there is some argument that the order filled was in the amount of 2000 not 15,100 .
The contract required the addition of metric graduations to Winchester’s No.44A rear sight and the addition of sling swivels on the left side of the butt stock and barrel band. The sling swivels were specifically required so that the carbine could be carried en bandoulière (the French term for carrying a carbine across the back). These added features were unique to the French contract. The carbines were issued to motorcycle couriers, artillery troops and transport units. Model 1894s also found their way to balloon units, and some may have been used by airmen in their aircraft.
After the war, the French Winchester Model 1894s were sold by the French government to unknown buyers. Some bear Belgian proof marks, as they were transferred through Belgium. The Belgian proofs have led many to incorrectly assume that those guns were purchased by the Belgian Congo.
This particular example is missing the rear meter sight and has the standard folding leaf sight. The metal finish shows evidence of an older refinish, the wood is in very good condition with normal wear expected from a military use firearm. The rifle is in very good shootable condition with a strong bore with defined rifling. An overall fair example of a very scarce Winchester. These do not show up very often. If interested please contact me and I will put you directly in contact with Mr. Neidy to work out payment and shipping details.
$ 2,495 Canadian
From the E. Lind Collection.
Thomas Woodward was born in Birmingham in 1855. Little is known of his early life, but he is probably the same man recorded as a gunmaker from 1868 through to about 1890. He was recruited by Henry Holland in 1892, moving to London to set up Holland's first factory at 527-33 Harrow Road and later supervising the move to its current address in 1898. This involved not only equipping it, but also recruiting gunmakers to staff it, and he is seen as having a large role in the company's transition after 1893 from being a primarily retail business to manufacturing its own firearms. He was also an innovative man, listed as co-patentee with Henry Holland on nineteen patents including this falling-block action, along with designs for the single-trigger (eleven in total), hand-detachable locks plates and both the Paradox and Velopex bullets. By 1904 he had been made a director of the company, a position which he was to hold until ill health forced him to resign in 1914.
Although Holland & Holland had been selling falling-block rifles since 1890, the Holland-Woodward action was the first design by the makers, and the first example was completed as a .303 in 1895 (no. 19557). Total production is believed to have been in the order of only 140 rifles, the bulk being sold between 1899 and 1901 and the last in 1926. Winfer's book separates the actions into three types, of which this rifle exhibits the "action plate base for the...internal safety arm" characteristic of the No. 2 action.
Winfer's book states that famed African hunter Frederick Courteney Selous ordered three Holland-Woodward actions from Holland & Holland, Selous was a true fan of the Woodward action.
This example is as close to a twin of one of the Selous famed holland Woodward action rifles sold at Bonhoms in 2010. This rifle is in extremely fine condition, exhibiting a very high percentage of original finish, vibrant case colours and deep rich blue. Bore is as new and wood shows much the same. An extremely rare rifle from one of the finest makers in the world. The action using H.W. Holland & T. Woodward patent no. 17,578 of 15 September 1894, the sides of the action-body with the makers name engraved surrounded by best bold foliate-scrollwork, the underside engraved with the patent number, virtually full hardening-colour, the bright cocking-lever engraved en suite, the top-tang with shotgun-style safety, finely figured stock, with pistol grip, engraved pistol grip-cap with trap containing additional bead-foresights, cheek-piece and horn butt-plate, horn-capped forend, sling-eyes, with a circular barrel, engraved Holland & Holland, 98 New Bond Street, London Winner Of All The "Field" Rifle Trials, London and ramp-mounted ivory bead-foresight
When it comes to antique military arms, there is probably no name better known than “Brown Bess”. The term is a generic reference to the iconic musket of the British soldier during the 1700s, and is applied to a wide variety of British musket patterns that saw service over the course of a century. While many stories and theories abound about the origin of the name “Brown Bess”, nobody is aware of a documentable origin for the term. “the nickname is obviously an affectionate one. Bess was a sturdy, dependable wench who felt good in your hands during desperate moments.” While the British military did not refer to the arms at the time with pattern or model dates as we collectors do, they did utilize terms like “Long Land Pattern” and “Short Land Pattern”, terms that are now fairly well known to most antique military arms collectors. The first of the muskets typically referred to as a “Brown Bess’ was what we now refer to as the Pattern 1730, which established the basic pattern that all British military infantry muskets would follow for 100 years. The Pattern 1730 was a produced from about 1727 to 1740 with “significantly less than 96,000” being produced during that time. The musket was about 62” in overall length, with barrel that was usually about 46” long, smoothbore and nominally .76 caliber. The musket barrel was secured to the stock by a single screw through the breech tang, several transverse pins through the stock, and by the mounting screw for the upper sling swivel. The lock was the classic Brown Bess “banana” shaped lock with a rounded profile, an unbridled pan and a swan neck cock. The rammer was wooden with a brass tip, and was retained via three brass pipes and a fourth tail pipe. The balance of the furniture was brass as well, including the buttplate, side plate, trigger guard and nose cap. The musket was improved circa 1740 with the addition of a bridled pan and beefier furniture. These muskets, produced from roughly 1740-1742 have been categorized as Pattern1730/40 muskets, and are in fact a transitional pattern to the Pattern 1742. The most significant change in the 1730/40 muskets was the adoption of the Pattern 1740 “double bridled” lock. This lock incorporated a bridled pan on the outside of the lock plate, in addition to the traditional bridle inside the lock that retained the tumbler. The Pattern 1742 Long Land Musket was produced from 1742 to 1750, and although the subsequent P-1748 and P-1750 were in production by the time it came to pass, the Pattern 1742 was the standard issue musket during the Seven Years’ War, which is better known in America as the French & Indian War. Like its predecessors, the Pattern 1742 was approximately 62” in overall length, with a nominally 46” long barrel of about .76 caliber. The total production of the muskets is estimated to have been around 106,900, which Goldstein & Mowbray base upon known orders for socket bayonets to accompany the guns. According to their research, roughly 1/3 of all Pattern 1742 musket production was shipped to the American colonies for service in the French & Indian War, with at least 15,833 shipped “for and with British troops” and an additional 14,798 sent for the use of colonial volunteers and militia. The guns were referred to in period British ordnance documents as “Land Service Musquets of King’s Pattern with Brass Furniture Double-bridle Locks, (and) Wood Rammers”. The Pattern 1742 was significantly beefier than its predecessors, with a much more robust stock that was better suited to the harsh life of military service and extensive campaigning. It also incorporated a much more robust triggerguard. While the earlier Pattern 1730 and 1730/40 muskets had utilized a brass nose cap, this feature was dispensed with on the Pattern 1742, although many muskets were retroactively upgraded with brass nose caps post-1748, when a steel rammer was adopted to replace the wooden one. After the steel rammer was adopted, many of the early production Pattern 1742 muskets had their upper and tail pipes modified for use with the new rammer and had a nose cap added at the same time. The Pattern 1742 was essentially replaced the transitional Pattern 1748 which remained in production only long enough to bridge the gap to the Pattern 1756 which was the last of the 46” barreled “Long Land Pattern” muskets to be produced. The Pattern 1756 was produced in significant quantities when compared to its predecessors, with between 200,000 and 250,000 being produced. While other patterns of “Brown Bess’ muskets would continue to be produced over the next 50 years, the Pattern 1756 brought an end to the era of the Long Land Pattern.
This musket is marked Warranted on the lock, indicating a musket used for trade, likely it was intended to use as trade goods in the slavery era, perhaps on board the British East India Company ships. It has the usual Birmingham proof stamps indicating manufacture in Birmingham. A warranted gun would have been made with the permission of the reigning Monarch. This musket is in extremely fine condition, with good solid wood throughout, the lock works perfectly and would likely make as excellent shooter if one were so inclined. This is a prescribed antique in Canada, no license required.
Original condition would have been, Cal. 36. Blue & color case hardened with 7-1/2″ oct bbl, brass pin front sight and 1-line address “ADDRESS. COL: COLT. LONDON.” with arrows, blued steel trigger guard & back strap contain a 1-pc walnut grip. Left side of grip is stamped, up side down, U_C / G/ 4/. Left side of bbl lug and cylinder have British proofs. The revolver has mismatched serial numbers and there are numerous possibilities for the mismatched parts the most logical is that they were switched during a cleaning session or at the Armoury. All parts fall within the generally accepted serial number range for these upper Canada Colts. In 1854, with the British Army heavily engaged in the Crimean War, the Canadian government was asked to take a more active part in the defense of Canada. Canada accepted and a commission was formed to arm & supply their militia forces. Canada was divided into two halves, Upper Canada and Lower Canada. Upper Canada was the western area that later became Ontario and Lower Canada was the Eastern area that later became Quebec. In 1855 the commission was sent to England to purchase arms for the militia and secured 800 Colt Model 1851 Navy revolvers along with rifles, carbines and swords. These revolvers were marked for their specific areas as found on this revolver. The “UC” stands for Upper Canada. The “G” stand for a small unit in a little community called Napanee on the shores of Lake Ontario not far from Kingston. The "4” is for the 4th Volunteer of that company. There is considerably more information available about the Upper & Lower Canada Colts through research by a gentleman by the name of Robert W. Band of Toronto, Ontario, Canada as mentioned on page 183 of 51 Navies, Swayze. As well as Defending the Dominion. These Colt Navy pistols are highly collectable especially in Canada.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
From the T. Neidy collection.
The Pocket Model came with and without attached loading levers and with barrel lengths from 3-6 inches; those without loading levers were loaded either with some handy dowel or equivalent tool, or by removing the cylinder from the frame and using the fixed cylinder pin (or "arbour") as a rammer). Those without loading levers are frequently called the Wells Fargo Model, although Wells Fargo records show no .31 caliber revolvers ever purchased by that company. All variations included, it was the single largest selling of the Colt revolvers until well into the 20th century. Civilian demand for the original .31 caliber revolver remained substantial even after introduction of the larger-bored .36 caliber Pocket Navy and Police Models, even right up until metallic cartridge revolvers entered production in the early 1870s.
One legend has it that the pocket models were popular with Civil War officers who did not rely on them as combat arms but as defence against battlefield surgeons bent on amputating a limb; a more likely reason is that officers were not expected to directly engage in combat, except in self-defence, and the small size and light weight of the Pocket models made carrying them around more attractive than larger, heavier models (especially once the .36 caliber models came out).The only real difference from the Second pattern bayonet is the attachment system. The first pattern extended button on the post was very prone to catching on things, and sometimes breaking off. Most seen on the market have the button top either broken or cut off like this one.
The bayonet is regimentally marked and bears a proof mark on the ricasso.
This particular example is in very fair condition, grips have a significant amount of original varnish, case colours are not visible. As the pictures show there is a good amount of original silver remaining on the trigger guard and back strap, the barrel and receiver blue has turned a pleasant plum brown/blue patina. The cylinder scene is very much present and sharp. Mechanically it functions perfectly, with solid lock up and spot on timing. The bore condition is very good as well, showing sharp, distinct, rifling with some black powder roughness in the grooves, 31 caliber with 4 inch barrel. Overall an excellent example of a numbers matching revolver. The holster is included in the sale and appears to be original and well fitted to the pistol. Antique status in Canada, no license required. If interested please contact me and I will put you directly in contact with Mr. Neidy to work out payment and shipping details.
The Martini–Henry is a breech loading single shot lever-actuated rifle that was used by the British army. It first entered service in 1871, eventually replacing the Snider enfield, a muzzle-loader converted to the cartridge system. Martini–Henry variants were used throughout the British Empire for 47 years. It combined the dropping-block action first developed by Henry O. Peabody (in his Peabody rifle) and improved by the Swiss designer Friedrich von Martini, combined with the polygonal rifling designed by Scotsman Alexander Henry. Though the Snider was the first breechloader firing a metallic cartridge in regular British service, the Martini was designed from the outset as a breechloader and was both faster firing and had a longer range. There were four main marks of the Martini–Henry rifle produced: Mark I (released in June 1871), Mark II, Mark III, and Mark IV. There was also an 1877 carbine version with variations that included a Garrison Artillery Carbine, an Artillery Carbine (Mark I, Mark II, and Mark III), and smaller versions designed as training rifles for military cadets. The Mark IV Martini–Henry rifle ended production in 1889, but it remained in service throughout the British Empire until the end of the WWII.
This is an extremely nice condition rifle with an extremely good bore with very distinct rifling, bore chambered in 577- 450. It has very nice blue brown finish remaining on the metal surfaces and the wood is in outstanding condition, with some handling marks as would have been experienced in the field, including small chips. Mechanically it functions as it should, no doubt this rifle has a history to tell.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
The Maschinenpistole 40 ("Machine pistol 40") descended from its predecessor the MP 38, MP 40 was a further simplification of the MP 38, with certain cost-saving alterations, most notably in the more extensive use of stamped steel rather than machined parts.
The MP 40 was often called the "Schmeisser" by the Allies, after the weapons designer . Schmeisser had designed the mp 18, which was the first mass-produced submachine gun. He did not, however, have anything to do with the design or development of the MP 40, although he held a patent on the magazine.
The MP 40 submachine guns are open bolt, blowback-operated automatic arms. The only mode of fire was fully automatic, but the relatively low rate of fire enabled single shots with controlled trigger pulls. The bolt features a telescoping return spring guide which serves as a pneumatic recoil buffer. The cocking handle was permanently attached to the bolt on early MP 38s, but on late production MP 38s and MP 40s, the bolt handle was made as a separate part. It also served as a safety by pushing the head of the handle into one of two separate notches above the main opening; this action locked the bolt either in the cocked (rear) or uncocked (forward) position. The absence of this feature on early MP 38s resulted in field expedients such as leather harnesses with a small loop that were used to hold the bolt in the forward position.
The MP 38 receiver was made of machined steel, but this was a time-consuming and expensive process. To save time and materials, and thus increase production, construction of the MP 40 receiver was simplified by using stamped steel and electro-spot welding as much as possible.
A hand guard, made of a synthetic material derived from bakelite, was located between the magazine housing and the pistol grip. The barrel lacked any form of insulation, which often resulted in burns on the supporting hand if it was incorrectly positioned. The MP 40 also had a forward-folding metal stock, the first for a submachine gun, resulting in a shorter overall weapon when folded. However, this stock design was at times insufficiently durable for hard combat use.
Although the MP 40 was generally reliable, a major weakness was its 32-round magazine. Unlike the double-column, staggered-feed magazine insert found on the Thompson, the MP 40 used a double-column, single-feed insert. The single-feed insert resulted in increased friction against the remaining cartridges moving upwards towards the feed lips, occasionally resulting in feed failures; this problem was exacerbated by the presence of dirt or other debris. Another problem was that the magazine was also sometimes misused as a handhold. This could cause the weapon to malfunction when hand pressure on the magazine body caused the magazine lips to move out of the line of feed, since the magazine well did not keep the magazine firmly locked. German soldiers were trained to grasp either the handhold on the underside of the weapon or the magazine housing with the supporting hand to avoid feed malfunctions.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
The Danes elected to license the Remington design for manufacture in Denmark at the Copenhagen arsenal, which they did in fairly large quantity. The Danish model first utilized a rimfire cartridge and that stayed in service well into the smokeless era. However, with the adoption of the 8mm M1889 Krag-Jorgensen the need to update or abandon the Remington became acute. In 1896 they were withdrawn from infantry service, converted to centre fire cartridge and issued to coast and fortress artillerymen. At that time a new much longer rear ladder sight was also fitted to the rifles. After World War II a large quantity were sold surplus back to the US where these type first entered civilian hands, being misleadingly sold in large quantity as .45-70 Rolling blocks!
Centre fire converted rifles chamber a cartridge near to the US Govt. .45-70, the 11.7x51R, a bit shorter and a bit larger. A .45-70 will function but will expand at the base and may over crimp at the neck. The rimfire cartridge was somewhat shorter but usable in the converted rifles. In fact, after conversion, the rifle could fire either rimfire or centre fire ammunition. I have brass for this rifle and some loaded rounds.
This example is in very fine condition, sporting an excellent bore and solid wood with only minor wear showing. The finish on the metal is in keeping with the age of the rifle and shows very nicely. Antique status in Canada, no license required.
oldguns.ca, virtual museum collection.
The Snider first saw action with the British/Indian Army at the battle of Magdolia (Aroghee) in Ethiopia on 10 April 1868; during the battle the Kings own regiment alone fired 10,200 rounds. The Snider–Enfield served throughout the British Empire, including Cape Colony, India, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada, until its gradual phaseout by the Martini Henry, beginning in 1874. Volunteer and militia forces continued to use it until the late 1880s. It stayed in service with the Indian Army until the mid-1890s.
The Snider–Enfield was produced in several variants. The most commonly encountered variants were the Rifled Musket or Long Rifle, the Short Rifle, and the Cavalry and Artillery Carbines. The Long Rifle has a 36.5 inches (93 cm) barrel and three barrel bands. Its total length (without bayonet) is 54.25 inches (137.8 cm) in length, longer than most rifles of the time. It was issued to line infantry and has three-groove rifling with one turn in 78 inches (200 cm). The Short Rifle has a 30.5 inches (77 cm) barrel and two barrel bands with iron furniture. This variant was issued to sergeants on line infantry and rifle units. It has five-groove rifling with one turn in 48 inches (120 cm). The Cavalry Carbine is half stocked and has only one barrel band. It has a 19.5 inches (50 cm) barrel, with the same rifling as the Short Rifle. The Artillery Carbine has a 21.25 inches (54.0 cm) barrel with a full stock and two barrel bands, and the same rifling as the Short Rifle and Cavalry Carbine.
This rifle is attributed to the 22nd Battalion, "The Oxford Rifle Militia" The regiment was active participating in the Fenian Raids with two companies doing border service in Quebec. By 1866 all eight companies were on service at Ridgeway, Fort Erie and Sarnia. In 1868 the militia was called out in the County of Oxford to aid with civil power in the event know as “The Whisky Riots”, when the Mayor of Woodstock, William Grey, requested assistance in dispersing a crowd which had collected and threatened two “whiskey detectives”.
This example has a bore that is in mint condition, fine sharp rifling, bright and shiny with absolutely no pitting, it should make an excellent shooter. The wood is in excellent condition, solid with no major issues. Metal finish has turned a pleasing brown, blue patina for the most part but there is still much original dark blue in areas. Mechanically, it functions as intended, a nice historical piece, identifiable to a Canadian Regiment, this is an antique in Canada, no license required. Ramrod is available if desired.