Somewhere around 1905, Franklin Hiram Walker, son of Hiram Walker, founder of Walkertown and Walker distilleries, contracted Holland and Holland to build him a double rifle for an upcoming Chamois hunt in Italy. The rifle pictured was the result, the story goes that Mr. Walker went to Italy shot his Chamois and put the rifle away, never to be used again. Apparently, 6 shots were fired. The rifle was bequeathed to Mr. Walker's house manager, which then passed it along to his son, from whom the rifle was purchased. The provenance is solid, the condition is impeccable, the rarity of caliber is undeniable 295/300 rook, the grade is of the highest quality, for the double rifle collector this is the holy grail. Please call for more information.
This is one of my latest builds. Chambered in 44 Special. This is an Antique status revolver, serial number brings date of manufacture to 1875 and was originally chambered in 41 Colt. It is now sporting a new barrel and cylinder, all work has been performed in my shop. Engraving is by Brian Frank, grips are elk stag and hand fitted. This revolver is in perfect working condition, with polished internals, making a very slick action. These are very difficult to come by these days and command a serious buyer. Serious collectors/shooters only please. The revolver comes with an R.C.M.P. Antique status letter, it does not require a license to buy, own or shoot, in Canada. Must be 18 years of age and of course I reserve the right to refuse anyone who I am not confidant is a suitable buyer. Previous buyers will receive preference.
$10,000.00 Canadian SOLD
Desirable Master Engraved, double signed, Belgium Browning Olympian Grade 270 Caliber Bolt Action Rifle. Manufactured in 1974, so outside of any issue with salt wood damage. French grey finish . The follower and bolt assembly are polished, the extractor is jewelled, and the trigger is gold washed. The rifle is engraved extensively. The stock is extra fancy select walnut with a high gloss finish, fine line checkering and floral and punch dot hand carving on the forearm and grip area, contrasting fore end and grip cap with a diamond shaped brass inset on the grip cap, raised comb, cheekpiece, plastic Browning butt plate and sling swivel studs.
In excellent condition, this rifle retains 99% plus, original blue and French satin grey finishes. Wood is very fine, the carving and checkering remain crisp. The action is excellent. This rifle is unfired.
The Marlin 1894 was originally patented on August 1, 1893 by L.L. Hepburn. With this design, Marlin simplified and strengthened the internal lever-action mechanism while continuing the practice of using a flat solid steel top receiver with side ejection. With the Model 1894, Marlin removed the rear-locking lug, which extended down into the trigger guard and had a tendency to pinch the shooter’s fingers during rapid-fire cycling. Other design improvements over the Model 1889 included a one-piece trigger and a two-piece firing pin to prevent the rifle from firing unless the finger lever was fully closed or if the locking lug were missing. Additionally, the finger lever lock of the Model 1889 was eliminated on the Model 1894 and replaced by a latch built into the lever itself. This model was chambered in the same calibers with the addition of the 25-20and later 218 bee.
The Model 1894 and its successors found particular favor in Canada, Alaska, and the Pacific Northwest, where precipitation combined with cold temperatures sometimes caused top-eject designs to freeze solid. During the Klondike Gold Rush, the solid-top Marlin design was preferred by many prospectors facing subzero temperatures and dangerous animals, since the solid top frame was better at keeping freezing rain, snow and dirt out of the operating parts of the action.
This is a 20 inch factory short barrelled rifle in 44-40, he double stamp for the caliber is very unusual and reportedly has not been seen before according to the Marlin Collectors records, the forearm wood is standard length. Short rifles are scarce as the standard barrel length was 24 inches. Most people that wanted a shorter barrel would go to a carbine which had a 20 inch barrel standard, why spend money on a special order 20 inch barrel when you could buy a standard rifle with a 20 barrel in a carbine. We cannot say how many short barrel rifles were made as the records end in December of 1906, and there was another 10 years of production after that before the Marlin family sold the company. The new company continued producing sporting arms to 1921, when yet another company took over, producing sporting arms using left over parts. That continued to 1924, when the company went broke and sold to yet another company. So, you can see, there is a problem trying to determine how many would have been produced. By far, the 20 inch short rifles are more scarce than either the 24, 26 and maybe even the 28 inch barreled versions. The receiver shows mottled grey from fading case colours and there is case colours still present in the protected areas. Wood is good and solid, bore is mint (bright shiny, with strong rifling), barrel and mag tube blue is a solid 80%. Mechanically it is perfect and a great shooter.
Intended to be a sales companion to the Model 1881, the Model 1888 was developed in response to the popularity of Winchester and Colt's pistol-caliber repeating rifles and carbines. While the 1888 was a solid design, Marlin's desire to distinguish itself from the competition resulted in the side-ejecting Model 1889, which would establish the signature Marlin configuration and condemn the 1888 to a one-year production run, with approximately 4,300 made in total of which around 1,776 were chambered in 38-40 and approximately 2400 in 44-40 and 32-20 combined.
This rifle has the blade and elevation adjustable sights, two-line address/1887 patent date barrel marking and smooth straight grip Claro Walnut stock with crescent butt plate. Sporting the most common and most desirable 24 inch octagon barrel, with and excellent bore, bright and shiny with deep sharp rifling and only minimal black powder freckling. It is one of my most favourite shooters. This rifle has been completely restored with case coloured frame. A beautiful example of a very rare rifle.
As a Colony and Dominion of Britain until Confederation in 1867, the security of Canada was in the hands of the British Government.
As such, British forces were stationed in Canada to varying degrees, depending on need and perceived external threats. Those forces were armed and provided for at the discretion and expense of the British Government.
The need for an improved defence organization was an important contributing factor leading to negotiations for Confederation. Following Confederation, Sir George Etienne Cartier's first Militia Act for the Dominion of Canada created the Department of Militia and Defence in 1868. It drew heavily upon Canada's system of universal obligation for military service and volunteer units, which visibly embodied the militia.
The new Canadian armed forces continued to rely on Britain for the supply of arms, not always with success. Weapons from American suppliers crept into the chain to fill shortages. As ammunition development progressed, and following the introduction of Magazine Lee-Metford and Enfield rifles, many Martini arms on hand through the latter part of the 19th century were converted to .303” calibre. Thus Canadians were armed with a hodge-podge, depending on service and immediate need.
One exception was unique to Canada. Following approval by the Department of Militia and Defence, the .303” caliber Martini-Metford MkII rifle was ordered from Britain, along with the P1893 sword bayonet. The bayonets were contracted to Wilkinson of London, and a production run of 1,000 completed by 1894.
The hilt design of the bayonet was influenced by the British Martini Henry P1887 MkIII, and strongly followed the overall appearance of the British 1888 Trials bayonet.
All British markings on P1893 bayonets to date are marked as follows, the left ricasso bears a large Victorian crown over V.R, the issue date of 2 ’94, and maker's name WILKINSON, LONDON.
The right ricasso is stamped with the British ownership mark : WD over an arrow, the lone (Wilkinson) inspector's stamp on steel : a crown over 35 over W, and the ‘X’ bend test mark.
Both grips of each bayonet are also marked with a Wilkinson inspector's stamp : crown over 49 over W.
Of the 1,000 Martini Metford rifles and bayonets purchased from Britain, the majority were issued to the Royal Regiment of Canadian Infantry. The RRCI were formed on 23rd May 1893, and redesignated the Royal Canadian Regiment in November 1901.
Unique to Canada, these are scarce bayonets and are highly prized by collectors.
Antique Barnett Hudson Bay Company Large Bore Percussion Northwest Trade gun, made circa the 1840s in England.
Highly sought after, furs had become a major commodity across Europe. With the Americas being a vast and unexplored Frontier full of brand-new resources, the local “Mountain Men” and Natives alike, had no qualms in becoming he largest suppliers. Naturally, the big business of furs began to boom. The Hudson’s Bay and Northwest Fur Co. were among the largest. Fur trapping, hunting, and trading did indeed offer some financial fortune, but as rewards go, it required great risk and sacrifice. Frontiersman would have always been on the lookout for natural and expected dangers like bear, mountain lions, and surviving through inclement weather. Although, in many cases this was the least of their worries. Fear of Native raids, jealous competition, and even local insurgencies would have been the last thought to cross the mind before an attempt of falling asleep. Even Popular culture, in its theatrical productions of “The Revenant” and “Frontier,” depict the business of fur trading as more dangerous than exciting. A rifle, just like this one, would have been the most significant tool one could have wielded, determining his level success or, unfortunate untimely death.
Trade guns like a Barnett musket were often slightly lighter and typically shorter than a traditional one. The trigger guard would feature a wider or more elongated trigger access, so that its user could wear gloves or mittens in colder weather. This example showcases a side plate with an embossed dragon as most of them did. This mark would help Native Americans recognize and authenticate the rifle. These rifles were given nicknames by many, such as “Northwest guns, Mackinaw guns, or Hudson’s Bay fukes.” It would not have been uncommon for fur traders to find powder, shot, flint, and parts through maritime traders, especially Native Americans, as this was their only means of supply. A good relationship between fur traders and gun suppliers was paramount.
The overall condition is good. The action is strong. The bore is good. The side plate has been cast into a swirling dragon. The lock reads “BARNETT" with the famous tombstone fox . Overall a very nice example of an Indian trade musket.
The Enfield 1853 rifle-musket is highly sought after by US Civil War re-enactors, British Military firearms enthusiasts and black powder shooters and hunters for its quality, accuracy, and reliability. The Italian firms of Davide Pedersoli & C. and Armi Chiappa (Armi Sport) manufacture a modern reproduction of the Enfield 1853 rifle-musket, which is readily available on the civilian market. Davide Pedersoli's reproductions are imported into the United States by the Italian Firearms Group located in Amarillo, Texas. The British company Parker Hale also made reproductions of the Enfield 1853 rifle-musket and of the Pattern 1861 Enfield Musketoon in the 1970s. This is a near perfect example of the pattern 1853 rifle, it is in (from what I can tell) unfired condition.
The Sharps-Borchardt Model 1878 is a single-shot hammerless falling block action rifle designed by Hugo Borchardt and made by the Sharps rifle company. It closely resembles older Sharps Rifles but has a firing mechanism that uses a hammerless striker rather than a hammer and firing pin like the old Sharps Rifle. This hammerless dropping block breech-loader was based on a patent granted to Hugo Borchardt in 1877. It was the last of the Sharps single-shot rifles, and the Borchardt did not sell very well. According to company records 22,500 rifles were made in all models from 1877 until the Sharps Rifle Co. closed down in 1881. Although it was designed for the huge black powder "buffalo" cartridges of the day, it came too late, at the very end of the great bison slaughter.
Several variants were produced: Carbine, Military, Short Range, Mid Range, Long Range, Hunter, Business, Sporting, and Express. The Military Sharps-Borchardt was made only in 45-70 with 32" round barrels and was purchased by the militias of the states of Michigan, North Carolina, and Massachusetts. The other models were manufactured in a variety of calibers, barrel types, sights, stocks, engraving, etc. and were designed for varying purposes. The Hunters variation was the most affordable. Notwithstanding its lack of commercial success the Sharps-Borchardt is admired for its strength and accuracy: reputed to be one of the strongest if not the strongest rifle action ever built before the latter 20th century. The gun was revolutionary at its time for its use of coil springs as opposed to flat springs. These guns were popular among long-range shooters and Creedmore Match competitors. Many were re-chambered for use as small bore varmint rifles. Surviving guns are highly prized by collectors, especially unmodified examples chambered for heavy .45 and .50-caliber Sharps big-game cartridges.
This example appears to have been re-freshed somewhat, possibly/probably new or re done wood, the finish is too nice for the rest of rifles condition. The metal appears to have some additional blue added to the otherwise grey surfaces. Mechanically, it functions as it should.
The barrel measures 32 inches and the bore condition is decent, distinct rifling but with some black powder roughness in the grooves. Should make a good shooter as well as a very collectable rifle.
The Pattern 1839 Musket was the first percussion infantry long arm to be widely issued by the British military. For all practical purposes the gun was a modernized India Pattern (aka "3rd model") Brown Bess musket, a gun that had been in use within the British military since 1793 (Type I). The Type II, adopted in 1809, remained the standard infantry service long arm until the adoption of the P-1839. The small number of George Lovell’s P-1838 percussion muskets that were produced can rightfully lay claim to the moniker of the first percussion British infantry arms, but they were produced in such small numbers as to be considered experimental at best. The P-1839 was a conscious effort on the part of the British Board of Ordnance to adopt a percussion musket and to simultaneously use up the large supply of India Pattern parts on hand. In fact, the first 30,000 P-1839 muskets to be assembled (“set up” as the British would call it) were originally to be 30,000 newly assembled India Pattern flintlocks, but it was decided that they should instead be assembled as percussion guns. Like its predecessor, the P-1839 musket was nominally 55” in overall length, with a 39” smoothbore barrel of approximately .75 (.76 according to the British) caliber. The musket did not have barrel bands, rather the barrel was retained in the fashion of the earlier flintlocks, with three round pins through the stock, the screw for the upper swivel and a single breech pin (tang screw). The ramrod was held by three brass pipes that were pinned to the stock, in much the same manner as the ones used on India Pattern muskets. The P-1839 musket had a conventional front action percussion lock (the P-1838 Lovell design used a back action lock) and many of the early guns utilized surplus flintlock lock plates with the additional holes for the frizzen and frizzen spring screw being filled. The lock was secured by a pair of screws that entered through an S-shaped, convex side plate, which was secured to the stock flat by a wood screw in its centre. These modified locks, taken together with the India Pattern styling and pinned barrel assembly, is no doubt the reason for numerous early to mid war Confederate accounts that mention troops being issued “old Tower muskets, altered to percussion”. These reports are almost certainly references to misidentified P-1839 percussion muskets. Initially the Pattern 1839 was manufactured with a hook shaped, Hanoverian style bayonet catch under the muzzle, but in late 1844 this was replaced by the Lovell’s pattern catch, which remained in use on British muskets until the adoption of the P-1853 “Enfield”. The P-1839 was quickly superseded by the Pattern 1842 musket, which was quite similar but dispensed with the serpentine side plate, utilized newly made percussion locks, introduced Lovell’s “side nail cups’ (lock screw washers) and replaced the round pins with wedges to secure the barrel. Even so, the P-1839 remained in production through 1851 and continued to see service, even in the Crimean War, by which point it had been rendered totally obsolete by the P-1853 rifle musket.
This particular musket functions as it should and is regimentally marked.
$975 Canadian SOLD